Monday, June 2, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday:: Books in Beach Bag


The Broke and Bookish run this weekly meme where bloggers post their top ten in any category!

This week's theme is "Book in my Beach Bag." My family is lucky enough to own a cottage on Lake Huron and I love reading on the beach there. I tried to pick light, summery books. The kind you can read, then swim, then read some more, then nap/tan- you know?


Me Reading at the Beach :)

Here are my thoughts:

  1. Seventeenth Summer by Maureen Daily- Angie and Jack have the quintessential summer romance the summer before she goes to college. This classic YA was written in 1940 and shows just how timeless young love is.
  2. Sleepaway Girls by Jen Calonita- If to you summer means camp time, this book is for you! A very disney channel movie-esque YA about Sam's shenanigans as a counselor in training.
  3. 3 Willows by Ann Brashares- The summer before freshman year, 3 old friends come back together, but not before having their own summer adventures- working at a beachside restaurant, hiking in the wilderness, and training to become a model. Great beach book because you get to have 3 summer adventures in one!
  4. Viola in the Spotlight by Adriana Trigalini- When Viola returns home to NYC after a year at boarding school she has to deal with confronting her BFF/BF, missing her awesome roommates, and being an intern for a Broadway production. Perfect "summer in the city" book!
  5. Summer of the War by Gloria Whelan- Summer on Turtle Island in Northern Michigan is Belle's favorite, but this summer is different. It's 1942 and the war in Europe might be closer than she things. This middle grade historical fiction captures summer and struggle!
  6. 13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson- If you prefer your summer reads to be about European adventures, this one goes in your beach bag! A mystery scavenger hunt around Europe, a run away aunt, and one incredible summer for Ginny.
  7. An Abundance of Katherines by John Green- Summer is the perfect time for a roadtrip, especially if you need to get over your ex-girlfriend. This was the first John Green book I ever read and is both hilarious and intelligent.
  8. A Summer in Europe by Marilyn Brant- Another book for those who love European summers. After her boyfriend doesn't propose to her, Gwen heads to Europe on tour for sudoko players- complete with lots of old people, two brothers named after famous transcendentalists, and maybe even some romance.
  9. Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen- I didn't like this book very much, but it was so summery I could practically feel the burst of air conditioning whenever Auden walked in a building and the sand between my feet when she was at the beach.
  10. Atonement by Ian McEwan- I read this book on the beach last summer. The first part takes place on a very very hot summers day and you could real feel the heat (not just with the temperature ;))

Will you put any of these in your beach bag? What books should I put in mine? Let me know!

8 comments:

  1. I keep meaning to read 13 Little Blue Envelopes. It does look like a perfect summer read. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely read it- it's really cute! There is a sequel too that's set at Christmas time, which might even be better than the first one.

      Delete
  2. There are a lot of great summer reads on this list. I read 3 Willows two years ago, and I didn't like it as much as The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants thanks to its younger voice, but like you said, it gives you three beach stories in one, which makes it light and enjoyable. And I agree 100% about An Abundance of Katherines. Road trip books are perfect for summer, and this one is one of the best - John Green is so intelligent I can't even take it.

    Happy summer reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3 Willows, is a little bit younger, but when I read it I was in my Freshman Year of High School, so I felt like I related to the characters pretty well. I'm glad you love Katherines too. I know it isn't as popular as the rest of Green's other books, but it hold a special place in my heart since it was the first one I read!

      Delete
  3. I just adore Atonement! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Atonement is great. I watched the movie a few months ago and was equally impressed with it!

      Delete
  4. Great picks! I've had Seventeenth Summer on my shelf for so long... maybe it's about time I read it! I might just have to pick it up over the summer. :)
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely read it! The author was actually neighbors with my grandparents, so the book has always been part of our family. It's really cute and bittersweet!

      Delete